Tuesday, July 25, 2006

I've been craving Middle Eastern food lately.

In spite of tensions between those in Tel Aviv and Beirut, Israel and Lebanon share many similar food choices.

And by the way, I don't see the current violence over there as the beginning of World War III, as some have suggested. Equal or worse violence is happening around the world, and has been for millennia. Anything Israel does gets magnified way out of proportion, in my opinion--not that I'm defending brutality in any form.

I obviously disagree with imperialist bullying (Israel, USA, etc.); and I certainly disagree with fundamentalist terror tactics (Hezbollah, Al-Qaeda, etc.). But I agree with the Lebanese cook who claims that Middle Eastern cuisine is "a product of both the earth and the sea," and who sees it as a natural bond between all Mediterranean cultures, from Spain to Syria. He would probably agree with Miguel de Cervantes, who said, "All sorrows are less with bread."

Jews, Christians, Muslims. We're more alike than different. Let us break bread together.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So when are you making supper for all of us?
Sarah

Chris Sand said...

When my house gets done I'll have a big house-warming feast. Octoberish . . .