Thursday, February 07, 2008

Welcome to the Year of the Rat! Goodbye, Year of the Pig.

Two days ago, Shawn and I unloaded another 9,000 pounds of live tilapia at our usual seafood warehouse in Vancouver, B.C. Our customer's spirits were higher than usual, probably because it was the eve of Chinese New Year.

Getting a dose of Chinese-Canadian culture is a job perk. Plus, I love the smell of fresh crab and carp and rain once a week, if only for 45 minutes.

Another bonus of my nomadic occupation is the weekly supper at Toro Viejo in Post Falls, ID. I always order tacos del pescado, and Bossman always picks up the tab. Friends, I guarantee you that there's no Mexican restaurant in North Dakota or even South Dakota that can compete.

The most concentrated dose of culture I get each week is trucker culture. I'll talk about that soon.

No comments: