Sunday, March 23, 2003

To recount: On March 19th I played Lestat's Coffee House in San Diego with Bunky, Jen Grady, and Red Pony Clock. Due to the start of war the mood of the musicians and audience was sad. A good-sized crowd came out, though, anyway-- perhaps to avoid the idiotic media reports. (Thanks, Liz, for setting it up!!) I stayed with Jen and her sister, Erin, who lives in San Diego. Jen and I (who really do love each other) spent the next day walking around various beaches and she showed me the hostel where she used to work. That night I played on the UCSD radio station with The Blow, Angela Correa, and Anna Oxygen. There was a crowd of 20 or so who came to watch and it went well. I was especially impressed with Anna and the Dr. Groove beats she programmed!! You'd have to see it to believe it.

On the 20th I left Jen and cruised east on Hiway 10 towards Tucson. I arrived with 30 minutes to spare at the warehouse/ housing co-op called The Captain's Table. I could go on and on about this place and its inhabitants, but won't. I'll just say that most Olympia anarchists, punks, and artists would love it here. Dawn and Kee, who set the show up, are twin sisters who also play in the band, Sugarbush. Once again, you'll have to see it to believe it. They played and after them, I sang and rapped to an audience of about fifty. After me was Liberty School, also terrific. I made about $100 in merch and $86 from passing a hat. I spent the night at Maggie and Mike's 150-year-old house in the heart of "old" Tucson. They treated me to breakfast in the morning and by noon I was off to Corrales where I am still. Tonight J.R. and I will drive to Santa Fe and party with my Olympia room-mate, Kristina, who is visiting a Chinese medicine school.

No comments: