Saturday, September 10, 2005

Four years ago I toured and recorded, over the course of a year, with a 22-yr-old rapper named Terrance Turner, aka "C.A.U.T.I.O.N." We performed together as part of Todd Denny's "Men's Violence Prevention" project. Todd just sent me Caution's new CD: Anti-Industry. I wish you could hear what I hear.
Caution commanded so much attention during his performancess that whole auditoriums would give him standing ovations. Many of his lyrics came from experience--six years in juvenile prison for attempted murder. You could, and still can, feel the urgency for human liberation in his voice. After shows students would line up to talk to him or thank him or hug him or buy his CDs. Although I envied the response he got (they mostly ignored me), I was proud to be his side-kick. After our stint with MVP phased out, we tried to keep touring together, but couldn't figure out how to market our unlikely musical combination.

No comments: