Thursday, December 11, 2003

I remembered a couple of my other favorite cds-- Joni Mitchell's Blue, Prince's Purple Rain, Randy Travis' Wind in the Wire, Ferron's Tesitimony, LL Cool J's Mama Said Knock You Out and Radio, Stevie Wonder's Innervisions, and anything by Mary J. Blige, Angie Stone, or Musiq. Half of everything by Hank Williams, Beat Happening, Lauryn Hill, and Eminem, and two-fifths of everything by Woody Guthrie, Jonathan Richman, and Greg Brown. I've only scratched the surface... (I'm not mentioning my friends, except for Bret and Calvin from Beat Happening).

I received a call yesterday from Dick at the UPS store who wanted me to come in and start work immediately. I'd checked back last week and they said I was out of luck for this holiday season, so I was surprised to get the call. I'd already told my friend Ben I'd help him move stuff for the Children's Museum yesterday, so I had to wait until today to start with UPS. I haven't asked how much they pay yet because I'm afraid to find out; I'm bracing myself for something under $8/hr. My job is helping customers which is challenging since I know nothing of this type of work; plus the lines are long and impatient. I'm quickly learning how to operate a till, a touch-sensitive computer-screen, and a credit card machine. I have to pack boxes for customers, put away mail, send faxes, and keep the store stocked with envelopes, etc. My head aches a little. I originally thought I'd be packing packages into a truck or something-- not customer service! Oh well, I like stretching my brain out now and then and hopefully I'll catch up with last month's rent. For better or worse the job ends in eight days.

I shaved my mustache today but the evil mutton-chops remain. I look like Wolverine, from X-Men.

No comments: