Sunday, February 23, 2003

The CD release party is over! It went well, but I'm glad to be able to focus on the tour again. Jen Grady's trio, The Wax Fire, opened up the show with some of the most beautiful, emotive music to ever to spring from this soggy pocket of America. Without much effort they could be famous I think. Then came The Jesus Chords who had the crowd shuckin' and jivin' to their brilliant and rowdy honky tonk. Then I played for two-and-a-half hours-- it was 1:30 when the show wound down. I started off the set with a couple acapellas, then did some slower tunes off The Long Ride Home, then did a couple with Jen. For the second half of the show I brought Carl and Chad up and we kicked out the jams: "Radio Works Fine", "Imaginary World", "Out of Place", "Love's Hangover Sale", "Hit the Road" and maybe something else. Then for an encore I had the room sing along to "Folk Legend (MLK)". I also did a weird acapella version of "Saddle Bum" w/ harmonica which I did half as slow sad cowboy song and half as a Run-D.M.C. influenced rap anthem. Then I did "Kelly Sue" and brought the band up to rock "Greg". All who attended seemed captivated so I didn't feel rude keeping them up so late. I didn't sell much merchandise, and the door money went to the out-of-town band, but it was fun. Alex helped me all day preparing for it. We had the best merchandise table ever-- two full racks of shirts, two boxes of zines and sampler CDs, and a big rack of CDs. Alex and the band stayed over night and drank a few beers. I slept five hours. Maybe I'll sneak a nap in a little while.

No comments: