Sunday, July 06, 2003

The Charlo all-school reunion is over. I played a few songs at the reunion show in between the other acts. My mom was the m.c. After the school song and cheer, Tawnie Kerr sang "The Star Spangled Banner". Then Rebecca Esterby sang "God Bless the USA". Then me with "Dear Grandma", "Reincarnation", "Thanks a Lot" (which I forgot the words to), and "Tribute to 'Rapper's Delight'". Then Jackie Kerr sang "I Hope you Dance" and Alan Fryberger ended it with "God Bless America". After the show, one old rancher had me autograph something or other. I've never played a show in my hometown before. The closest I came was playing my uncle John's former White Buffalo Bar in Ravalli after a pig roast and horse-shoe tournament. I got booed off the stage for rapping too much but he still gave me $100. The Native Americans seemed to like me more than the cowboys that night, for what it's worth.

Speaking of life on the Flathead Reservation... my friend Margaret and I went to the Arlee Pow Wow on the 4th of July. I love those fry bread tacos and huckleberry lemonades! Margaret's not Native, she just came to witness the Charlo Independence Day parade and hang out. She's my aunt Bryher's friend from Basin and is a playwright. After the parade we swam the frigid waters of McDonald Lake.

No comments: