Monday, July 12, 2010

Grandpa and Grandma Sand built this cabin in the heart of the Killdeer Mountains over thirty years ago. They lived in it every summer until this year. With Grandpa gone, Grandma has decided to stay in town. Uncle Josh and Aunt Coral inherited the cabin, but they live in South Dakota, so they have invited Hana and me to live in it in exchange for maintenance work. We are thrilled!

This means we will be renting out our dear Dunn Center house. Although the trade-off is worth it, we are sad to leave our house and community in Dunn Center. Fortunately, we'll only be thirty minutes away. We plan to keep our PO Box 7 address.

P.S. Grandpa had a saying: "Anything worth painting is worth painting red." The horse barn, the bunk house, and all the sheds are red, too. No tractor, picnic table, or axe handle escaped Grandpa's red brush.

4 comments:

jsl said...

what a beautiful home! it looks like paradise.

wachholz family said...

so thrilled for you and Hana - it's a beautiful place! Maybe it's time we make the move to NoDak! We love your home in Dunn Center...

TK said...

Congratulations! I particularly liked the view from the porch and could have stayed forever. I'm so happy that this worked out so nicely. I may have to visit again to enjoy that porch more thoroughly.

Flying Mermaid said...

Wow, can't believe you're leaving your little house! But I get it, and Grandpa's place looks lovely. How's grandma doing, anyway?

I love Grandpa's saying about anything worth painting! Reminds me of another saying I've loved over the years, picked up by the craggy old sailor father of my first girlfriend. If he saw a place all painted up red like that he'd have growled out of the side of his mouth, "For another coupla bucks they coulda had red!"