Saturday, May 17, 2008

Truck drivers come in every size, color, religion, and gender. There are philosopher truckers, skinhead truckers, grandpa and grandma truckers, fresh-off-the-farm-never-seen-a-city-before truckers, Hindu/Muslim/Buddhist truckers, punk rock truckers, lesbian truckers, and more. Tuesday night I ran into a Willie Nelson look-alike trucker, clip-on braids and all. Claimed to have gone to school in Hibbing, MN, with Bob Dylan.

I've seen a lot in the last six months: sunsets, sunrises, night skies, wildlife, waitresses. I've seen avalanches, aliens, gnarly road-kills, and over 20 wrecked semis. I've made good money, paid off debts, developed an addiction to taurine, listened to satellite radio, and watched over 50 dvds in the sleeper cab. I've run over 16 curbs. I've been blown off the road by 60-mph winds. I've jackknifed. I've survived.

Trucking has been kind to me.

1 comment:

GooseKirk said...

Wow! I wanna hear more about avalanches, aliens, jacknifings, curbs... always wondered what being a trucker would be like.