Friday, May 18, 2007

There's a thunderstorm goin' on. Not only in my head, but outside in the sky.

Sometimes frustrations trip me up. That's when I write ranting, wrathful raps.

My recurrent, tired gripe has been this: Where is our leader? I mean, who's our President? The slot's been vacant for so long. Decades maybe.

Franklin D. Roosevelt had something. Lincoln comes to mind as the last awesome Prez. Some say Clinton, Reagan, Kennedy, Eisenhower, Truman, and/or Teddy Roosevelt were great. I dislike them all, more or less. I like Washington. Jefferson. Yolanda King. Sam Cooke.

After listening to "A Change is Gonna Come," which Cooke wrote partly in response to Dylan's "Blowin' in the Wind," I see the storm's blown over, and there's the rainbow. Not only in my head, but in the sky above Halliday.

The moral: Music makes me happy. Politics, not so much.

And by the way, Cooke does a good cover of "Blowin' in the Wind" in this video. Dylan repaid the compliment forty years later, though some won't see it as a compliment. I like it, though.

No comments: