Thursday, April 10, 2003

Now I'm in Durham and I just played two shows. The first one was in a restaurant and flopped... I now realize that I don't make the best background music. When people finally catch onto my words they tend to lose their appetites. I played 4 songs and then told them I had food poisoning and had to leave (which made them lose their appetites even more I think). I made $2 in tips. My friend Laura is the waitress there. After the show I went to her house-party where I commenced to do show #2. This one started out uncomfortably with a bunch of folks wanting to jam. In all there were five instruments: accordion, banjo, mandolin, and two guitars. A picker named L.A. Fernandez, and I, swapped songs for about an hour or so, with everyone else following behind, until he and the accordion player left. Then I played another hour or so just entertaining the remaining folks. I hit it off well with Laura's boyfriend, Al, who also raps some, and gave him a sampler CD. I gave L.A. one, too, who says he might be able to help me set up another show here in the Fall. It's unlikely I'll return that soon, but would like to if I can somehow pay off my credit card debts by then.

I wake up in about five hours.
It's cold and raining outside.
Go, li'l Joe... keep on keepin' on.

No comments: