Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Yesterday, my 75-yr-old neighbor, Emogene, stopped by to see how the place was coming along. She noticed that my mattress was in need of sheets. I had a pile of Nick's old ones I'd been planning to use, and so I hauled them out. They looked clean to me, but she insisted on taking them over to her house to wash. She returned a few hours later with clean, warm sheets, a pillow, and a bedspread she'd acquired from a Killdeer motel. I was still hungover, so, after she left, I took my first nap at Watership Down. And slept well.

Prepare yourselves for a litany of "firsts" during these next weeks. For instance, I brought my guitar over there, for the first time, during lunch break today. The first song I played in my new house was Dylan's "Paths of Victory":

"The gravel road is bumpy,
It's a hard old road to ride,
But there's a clearer road a-waitin'
With the cinders on the side. . . ."

. . . and then the chorus:

"Trails of trouble,
Roads of battles,
Paths of victory
We shall walk."

That was all I could remember, so I repeated those lyrics a few times, and then went back to work.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

are you all cozy in your new house?
ready for a 'house warming' party?
or just a 'party'?

Anonymous said...

ANXIOUS TO READ ABOUT ALL YOUR "FIRSTS" IN YOUR NEW HOME

Anonymous said...

Aha!! Who will be the first??

Chris Sand said...

Naomi Judd will be the first.

Chris Sand said...

And then Ashley.

Anonymous said...

I can hardly wait!

Anonymous said...

Why am I second?!

Chris Sand said...

That's actually a pretty good question, now that I think about it.

Anonymous said...

DREAMER

Anonymous said...

i always thought that was 'ceaders on the side'... but you're right. it's cinders. ha.

ivee

luckydevilgirlyshow said...

A neighbor named Emogene, yep that's perfect... I can't wait to hear about Christmas on water ship down. Oh and I heard that recently there was a poll to see who actually reads your thoughts. I haven't been for a couple of weeks. I've been distracted but normally I view them regularly. Embarrassingly enough I sometimes print them out and post them on my car's dash. This has lead to Chickadee accusing me of being in love with you and having an alter in your honor... Silly Chickadee… there are other people’s thoughts there too… anyway now I am cyber blushing if such a thing exists so I’ll stop blathering…

Chris Sand said...

wait. . . . you didn't tell me which girly you are.