Monday, July 04, 2005


The Killdeer 4th of July Rodeo just about killed dear Sandman. After a day of red, white & blue sweaters, bombs bursting in my ear, and unnaturally pink hotdogs, the rodeo spelled overdose. I'm bored with 3-yr-old anti-Dixie Chicks jokes by rodeo announcers (though there was a pretty good one about Bill Clinton I'll admit). Rodeos are so amazing, but they're also full of shit. I don't even want to talk about it.

I had a good day, though. Teresa made a big sandwich board sign I wore in the Dunn Center parade. On the front it read "Dunn County Museum." On back it said "Lots of Rain, Lots of Grass." I pushed an old-fashioned, manual lawn mower covered in patriotic ribbons and a flag. I followed behind my dad and grandpa who rode turd-dropping horses. Then we attended the big potluck in the park. I sincerely love being part of this small rural community.

All in all, it was a swell Independence Day.

No comments: