Monday, April 14, 2003

Still in D.C... spent the morning meandering the streets of the El Salvadorean district, had lunch in a Guatemalan cafe. I'd meant to see some museums and monuments, but plans with my friend, Heather Jones, who's visiting from the West Coast, fell through. We'll do it tomorrow instead, before I head North.

Yesterday was spent relaxing with Nana, who currently has a sinus infection. We ate Thai food for dinner with her friend, Ton, who is Thai. Ton is a great, light-hearted, genuine guy and I hope to stay friends with him.

Saturday Nana worked so I spent the day with her roommates and roommate's friends. We went to the Arboretum and played frisbee next to the river. The weather has been around 70 degrees for the last three days which is a relief after the cold days in North Carolina and Virginia. Nana, who is Ghanian-American (she left Ghana when she was four), took me to a Ghanian restaraunt which was a revelation as I've never been to one. The taste of my rice, fish, and plaintains was highlighted by the dance-hall reggae and Nana's presence. I was in heaven! Someday perhaps I'll go there. At midnight we met her friends, Kadd and John, for a screening of Donnie Darko. Saturday had been the night I'd planned to go to Brooklyn, but I just could not bring myself to go; I needed rest.

Friday was the day of the show. Between 80 and 100 people showed up and deposited $254.00 in the tip jar. $100 of it went to pay for the keg and I got the rest. I also made $85 in merch sales! The show itself was a challenge as it was difficult to be heard above the roar of revelry. Those who cramped themselves into the living room to listen were all smiles and gratitude, though. I was fortunate to be able to use the amp and microphones from the band that played before me-- Nude Afternoon. They were a cool jazz/rock quartet with keyboards and stand-up bass and a singer with a voice like Jeff Buckley. For those that showed up late I played a few more songs out on the porch. These D.C. women are flirtatious, lemme tell ya; one of them almost walked off with my black hat! By 4:30 a.m. I was asleep.

No comments: