Wednesday, April 23, 2003

My new CD, The Long Ride Home, is officially in stores across the nation today!! This is a big deal to me, because up until now I've only sold my previous releases to people I meet at shows and to friends. I'm hopeful that they will sell quickly, but nervous, none-the-less, that I'm not well-known enough yet. I guess that's what this tour's about; reviews are starting to trickle in, too. Here are a couple that I've found via the internet:

Sandman / Long Ride Home / Billed as something of a cross between rap and country, I would disagree. This is stripped down singer/songwriter music and it is haunting and beautiful. It most immediately reminds me of Lou Reed back in his bad old days. This is a really great disc that tells a story and tells it so well that you will listen to it again and again. (MK) Impact Press (http://www.impactpress.com/articles/aprmay03/musicr4503.html)

All Music Guide Review
While the release of multiple albums has made Sandman known as somewhat of a cross between hip-hop and country, don't let that fool you. Yes, there are certain hip-hop elements on this 15-song album, but anyone who is familiar with the K Records sound and their branched elements won't have one bit of trouble accepting this. That's because the urban elements are kept to a minimum and never override any one song, instead taking their place like an obedient schoolboy. No, Sandman is through and through alt-country on The Long Ride Home, with a capable croon like that of Matt Wignall of Havalina and twangy guitar reminiscent of Woody Guthrie. The big skies from which he emerged have served Sandman well, as his sound is a nice accompaniment to the atmosphere that envelops one who has been to Montana and the surrounding states. An accomplished, established album that shows a gentle artist starting to come into his own. ~ Kurt Morris

And just ten minutes ago someone from West Coast Performer called to ask me a few questions about who produced, engineered, and mastered The Long Ride Home. She told me that one of their top reviewers, Rob Thompson, really liked the CD and would love to do an interview the next time I play in the Bay area. The review will appear in the June issue.

By the way, today I'm in Boston, or more precisely-- Jamaica Plain, at my good buddy Nima Samimi's place. I arrived at midnight after getting lost for an hour. Nima and Amanda greeted me warmly and we all had a slumber party in his room. I spent yesterday mostly in Vermont recording a couple new songs with a producer named Justin Galenski who I'd met at the show. First we did "Underneath the Grief" and finished with "Thanks for the Sex". Both songs feature vocal experimentations and have multiple layers of me singing, grunting, and whistling. I plan to send these to Bret at Knw-Yr-Own for use on a new Summer compilation CD. By 6 pm I'd bid adieu to the Tomlinson family and began my drive to Boston. Tek, sent me home with a sturdy box of his Tektonic Palates Ethiopian pastes. I encourage everyone to visit his website, 'cause he knows how to make sauces and pastes.

While I'm at it, here's another link you should check out: ?!!

No comments: