Thursday, November 23, 2006

My parents and grandparents are in Spearfish, South Dakota, eating turducken (that's a duck cooked inside a chicken cooked inside a turkey) with my aunts, uncles, and cousins. I couldn't afford to take time off from work to join them. After spending six hours at the Museum today, I watched Groundhog Day, starring Bill Murray and Andie McDowell.

I once literally bumped into Andie McDowell as she was exiting the Mammyth Bakery in Missoula, Montana. Our eyes locked fast, and I greeted her enthusiastically as if she were an old friend. To my consternation, however, I couldn't remember her name. She smiled as I rapidly tried to process my predicament. Her face seemed so familiar, and yet she didn't appear to know who I was either. I was so bewildered in fact that, without saying a word, I swiveled clumsily into the Bakery and let the closing wooden door seal our awkward farewell. Seconds later, while eating a bagel, I realized she was the actress from the movie I'd recently seen at the Crystal Theater: Sex, Lies and Videotapes.

P.S. My family didn't really eat turducken. Just turkey, probably.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We missed you!!! Next year....you better be there!

Love, Jen

Anonymous said...

hey there sandy
i know i'm none too good about keeping in touch but i think of you often....actually i was just talking about you in the middle of the gulf of mexico on my way back from cozumel. i told my partner in crime, "chris is such a good guy, he really looks in your eyes when he's talking to you."
cuidate caballero
con paz y amor
teresa