Friday, February 22, 2008

During the tail end of Wednesday night's lunar eclipse, as I drove between Spokane and Ellensburg, WA, I witnessed a bright celestial phenomenon in the sky to the south. It left a fiery streak of green, red, and pink as it rocketed towards the prairie. It had characteristics of a shooting star, but it was bigger and more colorful than any meteorite I'd ever seen.

I just now Googled "Washington meteor" to see if there were any reports, and I found a slew of them, many accompanied with videos. This video looks a lot like what I saw, but the timing has it as a couple days previous.

Confusing.

Perhaps what I saw was not a meteor at all, but rather a piece of debris from the U.S. spy satellite explosion.

Whatever the case, my evening was filled with cosmic glory.

No comments: