Thursday, March 27, 2003

I'm in Wichita, Kansas; pretty much smack dab in the center of the USA. As I was driving from Oklahoma City to here it was hard to read the US map as I-35 is in the crack of the Rand-McNally atlas between pages two and three. The wind blew so hard along that stretch that it actually corrected my steering problem and at times I was able to let go of the wheel-- (cheap thrills)! I liked Oklahoma-- still lots of poverty... friendly people, $1.2499 unleaded gas! The 70-yr-old toothless maid, busted into my $25 hotel room this morning as I was watching Iraqi war-coverage and gave me her unsolicited opinion about it-- something about how George Bush, Sr. was maybe alright but how his son is an idiot putting poor people's lives at risk for the sake of making some money. The hotel advertised with a big, red banner that the owner is a war veteran. Woody Guthrie and Will Rogers' (and even Merle Haggard's) ghosts remain.

Once in Kansas I had to pay a toll-fee to use the highway. I think I'll mosey to Lawrence tonight and try to find a friend or two. (Oh, by the way-- my time in Santa Fe was titillating. I played 4 hours and made $285 at the Cowgirl Cafe, hiked and re-befriended Rachael, philosophized and had visions with J.R. and Kristina (and met her mom), slept in a lot, ate good food, and generally had a blast! What more can I say?) Thanks for everything J.R., Rachael, Randy, and Wendy!

No comments: