Monday, May 31, 2010

Yesterday's North Dakota Cowboy Poetry Gathering in Medora was a swell time and the first time I performed there as a "headliner." My favorite cowboy singers in the world, The Larsen Brothers, played directly after me.

Tamara Kubacki, Programs Coordinator for the Western Folklife Center in Elko, NV, gave the keynote address. She and I became friends last year at the National Cowboy Poetry Gathering in Elko. Hana and I had the pleasure of showing Tamara around Dunn County this morning.

Before yesterday's show, Hana and I explored the southwest corner of North Dakota, in particular the ramshackle town of Marmarth. Marmarth is to NoDak what Terlingua is to Texas--a dusty, half-deserted, ghosty place where eccentrics, outlaws, and misfits go to escape and/or create. My people.

1 comment:

TK said...

The pleasure was mine. Sunshine, trees, beaver dams and walks with new friends is a good way to spend the day.