Friday, February 18, 2005

The ABC House is in use tonight. A rock show is happening in our basement. Random humans are exploring our kitchen. Teen agers in blue hoodies are talking under the black walnut tree and swinging on the rope-swing. Sunday we're having a costume party here. I still don't know what to wear. It's interesting to contrast my life in this bohemian cesspool with that where I was and will soon be returning. I'm applying for a full-time job in North Dakota as the curator to the Dunn County Historical Museum. I'm torn! Everything appears so colorful here, and bland there--but below the surface I suspect I'll find wells of fascinating history riddled across the prairie. Western Montana and the rest of the Northwest may be my "motherland," but North Dakota is like a father who prods me towards a life of quiet dignity. That's not enough to hold me there permanently, but then again, who knows what dreams may come once I shed my mildewed armor and make friends with the ranchers and roughnecks.

Spring is springing here in Olympia. Daffodils and cherry blossoms. I've hung up an art exhibit I created from old baseball cards in the living room. There are eight pieces with prices ranging from $1 to $800. It's pretty stupid, but kind of smart, too. If anyone who has seen it cares to comment, please do so...

No comments: