Sunday, December 07, 2003

Another wild weekend comes to a close. It started Friday at the "Wine and Chocolate Decadence Party" where I raved 'til 3 am. Yesterday was the big ABC House show. Chad and I rocked our best set yet. My friend Earl's friend, Daniel (from North Hampton), played, too, and afterwards he and I went downtown and shot pool at the East Side Tavern until closing time. Now, he and I are good pals. I'm wearing his band's shirt right now, which is called S.H.Ar.Q. Daniel is on a mega-U.S.-tour around the perimeter of the mainland and he's headed to Portland now.

Yesterday I met with a friend who is phasing out his music career and deciding to try his hand at artist management and booking. He's interested is trying me out as his first client. He feels that he has a good bead on what needs to happen to launch my career. As of now a manager-deal would stand at this-- he will get 15% of my profits as long as he is managing me. This includes shows, merchandise sales, etc. If at some point he finds me a more qualified manager who could make my career even more successful and I agree then he would continue to get 5% of my profits for up to ten more years after we end our partnership, if I decide to stay with the new manager who he sets me up with. I now need to do some research to find out if this is standard procedure. If anyone has any experience here, please share it. I've known him for ten years now and believe strongly in his integrity. Obviously, I need someone's help and with his particular expertise and guidance it's not hard to imagine that by next year this time I'll be touring steadily and making up to $1000 per gig. Another of his ideas is to re-record my best songs over the years and have a top-notch, career-defining album to peddle by spring of 2005. My life as a professional musician has a shot at shifting into overdrive within the next six-months. Am I ready? Yes, I think... better than the dance I'm doing now.

And finally, this from Canton, Ohio: "You rock, man and so does your new cd. Holy shit - Ben and I love it! As a matter of fact, I gotta say, it's one of your best yet..." R.B. She's referring, of course, to A Year in the Life of Slippery Goodstuff! Don't procrastinate people-- this cd is fresh, and you must hear it before it's too late. The holiday season will be over in the blink of an eye. Put down your egg nog, I say, and send your loose change to the sandiest rappin' cowboy west of the continental divide. (Scroll down to the November 12th entry for more info). Click here for mailing-address.

No comments: